7.6.09

I've had some friends ask me to show some kind of a demo of how I do some of the paintings.  Since I'm in a Lost mood I saved out some iterations of a caricature of Evangeline Lily to show a little bit of my process.  It's really just the basics of traditional oil painting, hopefully with a little style.
I start off with a few sketches until I get an approximate feeling for the character.  The way I work I don't like to tie the drawing down too much.  For me at least, most of the pleasure of the painting comes from the discoveries along the way.  I guess I like to have a general direction without a restrictive plan.  Otherwise it's just math.  Once you get the basic equations down you don't have to do the long division.  That's when it gets interesting.  Anyway, I start with a sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment